Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Mona Lisa Grimace



Boooooo.....hisssss.....that was a terrible title. Why am I own worst critic? Because I care. Care about you, the loyal reader. And I meant that singularly. You, the one reader. So how you doing, man?

I'm posting this because it went along well with my post from this morning outside the Louvre. This took place inside that same day. You can tell because I'm wearing the same terrible scarf I had on in the other photo. I swear I wasn't trying to be stylish or anything, it was just freakin' COLD outside. Imagine that, it's cold in late November in Paris!

It was interesting to see the Mona Lisa, to say the least. It's something every kid has heard about their whole lives whether it be in school, or movies or on TV. But actually GOING in to see it is a bit surreal.

And boring.

It's a much smaller painting than what most people expect. And it's pretty faded. Possibly because someone threw ACID on it like twenty years ago. People are nut cases. Same thing with the Statue of David in Italy that I went to see. You can't go near it or even take a PICTURE of it because some idiot in the 80's decided to attack it with a hammer.

So the painting is small, and it's in a very unimpressive room behind glass that is reflective. You'd think they could have figured out how to fix that by now. I had glasses like 10 years ago that had non-reflective glass. Get with it Paris...

I was also afraid of long queues (that's what they call "lines" in Europe. Aren't I fancy!!) to see the stupid, I mean, historic painting. Everyone had said that you could wait HOURS to see it, and then they rush you right by it. Oh, and they don't allow photos!!!

All of that was a lie. They had me worried I wasn't going to get to see the stup-errr... lovely painting! There was NO line. No one rushed us out. There wasn't even ANY security around. I've NEVER seen a museum this lacking in visible security! And I could take all the photos I wanted. Pretty much the exact opposite of what everyone told me.

More Louvre adventures to come!!!

1 comment:

  1. You were a Free Man in Paris, you felt unfettered and alive...

    ReplyDelete